Each time the new calendar year rolls around, there’s a rush of conversation around new starts and big changes. It may be clichéd, but at a time of year where people are receptive to change, and we return to work rested and refreshed, it’s a good time to take stock of where your business is and where you want it to go next. With this in mind, now is the time to review your digital strategy and decide how to deliver an effective plan to grow your business in 2018. Our New Year’s resolutions are a great place for you to start this journey:
Set achievable goals
Think about the key things you want to deliver from your digital strategy this year. Once you know what you want to achieve, you need to get down to specifics. You might have seen the SMART acronym mentioned frequently in this context – it refers to making targets that are specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time-bound.
For example if your goal is to deliver a better social media presence in 2018, you need to consider:
- Specific – Decide which social media platforms you want to invest both your time and money in. (Facebook, Twitter, Linked in and Instagram)
- Measurable – Focus on KPIs (key performance indicators), such as revenue, likes and organic reach figures, to ensure that your goals are measurable.
- Achievable – What resource/person and time will you dedicate to this? How much time will you set aside yourself, or will you allocate a person or employ a social media agency to do this for you?
- Realistic – It’s no good setting yourself goals that you can’t achieve. Balance ambition with pragmatism. Are your goals realistic considering the resources you have available, and the external factors you can’t control, such as competitors? Consider defining a long-term goal, and giving yourself a smaller series of interim realistic milestones; that way you don’t bite off more than you can chew.
- Time-bound – Give yourself an end target, with a series of goals defined by time. That way you can track progress between milestones, whilst keeping an outcome on your ultimate goal.
Not only does the SMART method break your journey down into smaller and better defined steps-research shows that businesses that write down clearly defined goals achieve more than those who don’t .
The most common personal New Year’s resolution is to lose weight and get healthy, but this can also translate to your business and digital strategy. You can’t compete in the latest extreme endurance craze if you only pop in to the gym in the first week in January. Correspondingly, you can’t let your website and social media sites sit neglected for months eating digital doughnuts. Give your website and social media sites regular exercise by auditing, updating and refreshing content that is relevant to your audience. Consider investing in SEO and start to stretch and strengthen those muscles to allow your audience and industry to recognise your online presence as a well-honed machine that reflects your business.
The reality of digital marketing is that it is relatively lower cost than investing heavily in traditional marketing, but to do it effectively still costs money. Investing in websites, SEO and social media sites requires commitment, time and planning, so you need to invest in dedicated resource within your business or work with a digital provider, who already have the expertise and experience at their fingertips. HoneyBadger’s experts in social media can help you grow your business by using Facebook and Instagram to maximise your brand coverage and build a long-term, sustainable and trustworthy brand for your business. Our Facebook and Instagram campaigns are designed to help SMBs maximise reach and return on investment at a price that is very affordable.
Love the new you
Once you have set your SMART objectives and focused on your digital strategy, it’s time to start focusing on you. Embrace video as a way of showcasing the new you, whether this be via your website or via social media, ideally both. Video is a growing segment in digital marketing and will make up 80% of internet traffic by 2019 , so it’s a must to include in any strategy. Share videos and content that are relevant to your current audience and use social media as a cost effective way to target new ones. At HoneyBadger we have a ‘video first’ strategy with all of the adverts we create for our customers. Check out some of the great video adverts we’ve created for our customers at https://www.honeybadgersme.com/videos/
Make your resolutions a reality
80% of New Year’s resolutions fail because people aren’t 100% committed to them or because they lack the resolve to stick with them long enough to start seeing results. Be sure to follow these 4 steps and unlock the potential to your digital future and a prosperous 2018.